For up to date (most of the time) news and original opinions before they hit the update, follow us on Twitter!
Space Shower TV was set to debut the video today at some point. For those of you who can't wait to see it, here's a brief clip.
^Montage. Again. I've got to say, I was a little disappointed when I saw it, but we have to look at things from a different perspective. I wrote this on the official message boards, but I thought I'd copy it again here, for any who are interested in reading my long-winded thoughts:
Ok, first off, I totally completely agree with you all. I think real music videos should be made, because honestly, montages aren't the most interesting videos in the world... BUT, Daughtry did manage to create a mega single with a montage of "Home." It's not the best option, but it works and serves its purpose.
I appreciate everyone's fervor in the matter, but we need to be smart about these sorts of things. Let's look at things from a different perspective:
- Switchfoot is a new act on Atlantic, so it's understandable the label doesn't spend too much on a music video right away. In this period of recession, money can't be thrown around, so it needs to be spent wisely and effectively.
- The band has been busy touring almost non-stop, and whatever time they have off, they would want to spend it with their friends and family. I'm glad the boys are doing what they're comfortable doing, so we should take that into account as well.
- "Always" isn't a proper international single release. It's only being worked in Japan. Also, a full-on music video would cost money, and that wouldn't be smart if the plan is only to work the song in Japan and to Christian markets in the US. Japan hasn't really seen much from Switchfoot, at least in the recent past. So a montage would be a nice reintroduction into what the band is like these days, what they look like, etc. (Oh look, the singer dude plays piano now!) that sorta thing, y'know? Christian music television is small and primitive, and honestly, I think that's money better spent elsewhere.
I'm sure once "Mess of Me" becomes a hit (and we all know it will right? ;) ), things will fall into place, and perhaps an actual music video will be made, with more funds. Sure, it's tough seeing Hawk Nelson or Skillet getting an actual music video and Switchfoot not, but patience will win out in the end. In the meantime, we need to support the guys and make this album their biggest one yet.
Bottomline, the Switchfoot boys are smart. I'd trust them.
^Discuss! Who's excited to see the rest? Who's kinda just "meh" about another montage video? Comment below please!
The New Zealand Herald did a story on Switchfoot in advance of their appearance at the Parachute Festival. Here's an excerpt:
With their new found freedom they went about creating what Foreman describes as "a career defining album" and the result is Hello Hurricane which was released late last year.
They went on a musical journey, writing well over 100 songs and recording 90 of those, which is why they already have the next two albums ready to go. "We couldn't have done that if we had a major label breathing down our neck, and paying for a studio by the hour, so it was a really great situation for us. And challenging, with no net to catch us."
He describes the bands previous albums as "city scapes, with high rises, lots of traffic, and a lot going on" whereas Hello Hurricane is more like a "sonic landscape that we wanted to be wide open".
Read the rest here
Chris Carrabba, from Dashboard Confessional fame, tweeted this:
- Loving the newest Switchfoot album.
Awesome! Our friend Joe also said that this tweet was posted on Carrabba's Myspace too, and the reaction there has been pretty positive!
Please also go here to see a list of stations already playing "Mess of Me" and phone numbers to call in and request the song with! Your calls are INSANELY IMPORTANT!
HERE are some request links you can do online if you can't reach a phone. Please be SURE to fill out a few of these links every day, especially the ones at or near your area! It is our collective efforts that will ensure the success of this and any future Switchfoot single.
All the station links posted below are guaranteed to have played the song at least once.
KNXX (Baton Rouge)
WKQX; Text: 99161 (Chicago)
WWCD (Columbus) TEXT "request" and then your song 68683
WGRD (Grand Rapids)
WPLA (Jacksonville, Florida)
WTZR (Johnson City)
KXTE (Las Vegas, NV)
KROQ; Alternate Link (Write-in request); text 25767 (Los Angeles)
KYSR (Los Angeles)
WEQX; Alternate Link(Manchester)
WBRU; Survey (New England)
WRRV (New York)
KEDJ (Phoenix) Text: 91039
(At lunch 12N - 1P)
(at 5 PM)
WRXL Alternate Link (Richmond)(Richmond)
KCXX; Alternate Link (Riverside)
XTRA (San Diego)
KBZT (San Diego)
Sirius Alt Nation
KPNT; Alternate Link; Text: 48258 (St. Louis)
WPBZ (West Palm Beach)
KILO (Colorado Springs)
KCLB (Palm Springs, CA)
KIOZ (San Diego)
WLZX (Springfield, MA)
Format: HOT AC
WRXP (New York)
OTHER ONLINE SUPPORT
- 91x (San Diego) Christy Taylor's REALLY BIG Countdown
- WRRV Buzz Cut
- 98.7 (Los Angeles) Badass 8
- TVU Live
- NEW WLUM Milwaukee
- Alternative Addiction: What we need to do is,
- Fill-in vote "Mess of Me" in the box, after voting for one of the artists already in the countdown.
- Request the song here. Scroll down, then simply press the "request" link.
- The Christian Rock 20 Poll. (NO. 1!)
- RadioU's Top Ten Most Wanted. We still have the top spot! Well done! Let's keep it that way!